------ Links to bird and other wildlife related websites ------
Local and other Welsh Groups/Organisations
- The Glamorgan Willow Tit project - set up after GBC were awarded a grant from WOS to do some survey work on this now very scarce species.
- The Glamorgan Rarities Committee forum - all info about current and past rarities in Glamorgan, and a lot of other info
- Gower Wildlife Blog - includes latest bird sigtings - you will need to register to post, but it's free to view.
- Eastern Glamorgan BTO - lots of info both local and more general
- Cardiff & district RSPB Local Group - the local members group of the national organisation
- Cardiff local RSPB group on Facebook - their own Facebook page with general information and news.
- Cosmeston Lakes & Lavernock Blog - sightings and info
- Kenfig National Nature Reserve - their Facebook page with up to date news
- Friends of Tirfounder Fields - a web site set up by James Burton of Cwmbach, to publicise the diversity of wildlife at this site.
- Gwent Ornithological Society - the club in our neighbouring county
- Gwent Birding - a Gwent Birders blog
- The Wildlife Trust of South & West Wales - a concise guide to its activities and reserves
- Gwent Wildlife Trust - includes lists of events, reserves and species
- Gigrin Farm - the now famous Red Kite feeding station at Rhayadaer, mid Wales
- Severnside Birds - info and news from the mid Severn estuary, Aust Warth etc
- Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust - includes a guide to its reserves
- Skokholm Island Blog - up to date news from Skokholm Island
- Skomer Island Blog - the sister island to the above
- West Glamorgan RSPB Members Group - information about their activities and local sites plus links to other RSPB groups
- Pembrokeshire Bird Group Website
- Carmarthenshire Bird Club
- Radnor Bird Blog
- Glamorgan Wildlife Photographic Club - local club for photographers of anything to do with natural history
- The Glamorgan Moth Recording Group - the informative blog of this very active group.
- The Cardiff Blackbird Project - a project set up to examine the ecology, behaviour and demography of urban birds using the blackbird as a model. This is the project's blog.
- WIldlife crime - if you see anything suspicious, illegal shooting etc, the Police Wildlife Officer is Mark Goulding - you need to ring 101 and ask for the matter to be brought to the attention of Mark Goulding, the Police Wildlife Officer.
- Gower Bird Hospital - An organisation whose purpose is to care for sick, injured and orphaned birds and animals with the sole intention of returning them to the wild
- British Wildlife helpines - Wales area page - this lists various centres in Wales with contact details
Local environmental organisation links
- SEWBReC - the south east Wales Biodiversity Records Centre
- Wales Biodiversity Partnership
- Environment Agency
- Cosmeston Lakes Country Park - the official VoG site
- Bridgend Unitary Authority Biodiversity Action Plan - scroll down the page for links to the documents.
- Caerphilly Unitary Authority Biodiversity Action Plan
- Cardiff Unitary Authority Biodiversity Action Plan
- Merthyr Tydfil Unitary Authority Biodiversity Action Plan
- Neath Port Talbot Unitary Authority Biodiversity Action Plan
- Swansea Unitary Authority Biodiversity Action Plan
- Vale of Glamorgan Unitary Authority Biodiversity Action Plan scroll down to see a link to the downloadable plan
- British Trust for Ornithology (BTO)
- Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB)
- British Birds Rarities Committee (BBRC)
- British Ornithologists Union (BOU)
- Rare Breeding Birds Panel
- Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust (WWT)
- Welsh Ornithological Society/Cymdeithas Adaryddol Cymru
- Natural Resources Wales - the new body which has taken over the roles of CCW, the Forestry Commission and Environment Agency Wales
- Portland Bird Obs, Portland Bill, Dorset - the link is to their new blog - the old website is here [for archived info].
- Joint Nature Conservation Committee
Bird Info/News sites
- BirdGuides - a news and webzine site and a lot more, but best known for its online news.
- British Birds - the well known bird journal.
- CVL Birding - the web site of Chew Valley and its neighbouring reservoirs, with bird news.
- Bird Forum - forum site on everything and anything to do with birds.
- Birds of Britain - a web based magazine
- Cornwall Birding - official website of the Cornwall Birding Association
- Fat Birder - an excellent site with info about birding worldwide.
- MapMate - the UKs favourite bird and other wildlife recording software, used by the Glamorgan Bird Club and many recorders in South Wales.
- BirdTrack - the BTO's online bird recording facility, now used by very many people. Data recorded here can be downloaded by the local Recorder for use in for example the annual Bird Report.
- Oriole Birding - run by Norfolk-based Ashley Saunders and Nick Parsons. Their brochure has a very wide range of birding tours both UK based and around the world. See the Members Trip Reports page for some trips that GBC has taken with them.
- Canopy Tower and Canopy Lodge in Panama. They gave GBC members a presentation a few years ago and some members have been. Highly recommended. Oriole Birding do a trip there.
Footnote - permission has been sought, and granted for the use of all the logos in the header banner.